Videos about the Angel Med Device.

New Medical Device Warns Patients Of Impending Heart Attack

Researchers have developed a new implantable medical device that alerts people when a heart attack is ‘around the corner’ . The device, created by Mary Carol Day and Christopher Young, is under clinical trials and uses both acoustic, vibration and visual signals to alert people regarding a possible heart attack. Currently, there are many implantable medical devices, such as left ventricular assist like device (LVAD), pacemakers, implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD s). Pacemakers and ICDs are used to treat arrhythmias, which means abnormal beats of heart. LVAD improves heart pump function.

Creating a device that alerts people about a heart attack patients may save lives. Even though most people know the symptoms of a myocardial infarction ( constrictive chest pain that does not respond to nitroglycerin, radiation possible in the left shoulder, back or jaw, sweating, anxiety), however many patients arrive at hospital too late sometimes. Moreover, there are situations in which the patient feels no pain and only symptom may be shortness of breath, as patients with diabetes. Arrival at the hospital as soon as possible after the onset of stroke is extremely important.


The new device, called AngelMed Guardian ®, is extremely useful for patients with cardiovascular disease and risk of myocardial infarction. Even if this kind of devices have been created so far, none have used the combination of acoustic, visual and vibration signals. In addition, it was found that the auditors based only on signals such as those implanted in the heart defibrillators may not always help because patients sometimes do not hear the alarm. Author Mary Carol Day says that this device has two major advantages. First, this device is implanted, that is it can not be forgotten. The second is that the device is also vibratile, warning patient of stroke whether he wears warm clothes or does not hear very well.

As a medical device, this is fixed in the upper left chest, and has the size of a pacemaker. In fact, the entire device is composed of two parts, one part which is implanted in the chest, and another part resembling a pager that alerts the patient when necessary. The device was designed to send two types of alarms, depending on the seriousness of the event. The first is an emergency alarm and warn the patient he can have a heart attack, and the second is a minor emergency and tells the patient to consult a physician within 24 hours. The results are promising so far. In studies of elderly patients, they could make the difference between the two types of emergencies. They also said they were satisfied with the quality warnings. The author added that in case the device is approved by FDA, it will probably need some changes in order to improve the quality of the interaction between the patient and the system.

POSTED IN: MEDICAL NEWS BY ELVIS AUGUSTIN COMMENT ON APRIL 16TH, 2012

Friday, September 21, 2012

Sept 21, 2012 Thoughts

Whew... where to begin.. Angel Med, Isaac, Doctors, Crisis tracker deployment, Doctors, more issues...
So, I guess I will start with today and go backwards?

Today I will have another download of my angel med...meaning all the information that has been collected up to the download point will be read. On my 7-14 day visit, which is when I would find out if my device was turned "on" or "off", a download was done. My device was randomized "off". :( That is part of the study, some are on and some are off. I was disappointed at first, but when Al, told me its helps more with the study and the future of angel med to be "off". my disappointment flew right out the window.

I had a mini stroke in my eye on Sept. 9th. I thought it was an optical migraine, or painless migraine, as I have had them before. I should have known with every characterisitc different and lasting a couple of hours instead of the normal 20 minutes or so, that something was wrong!

On Friday, my two dear friends, Donna and Christina, made me call an opthamologist and go see the doc. I was left with a black bug/tadpole looking area on my eye which moved when my eye moved. (it was my right eye) Wednesday I had an angiogram done on my eyes and its beginning to point to this "stroke" being a cardiovascular event. So today is a download.. Now if my angel med was on would I have been alerted? Is a stroke something picked up by an angel med  device? Or if its from arteries in my neck does it not appear to the angel med? << my thoughts and questions today

On Wednesday, the 26th, I am having an ultrasound done on the arteries of my neck to see if perhaps there is some plaque that broke off and caused the episode.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts. Have a beautiful day! One heart, one love! ~Leesa